- Free Freeware
- Windows 10 / 8 / 7 / Vista / XP
- Mar 19, 2017
- [+] More Details
jEdit is a free and open source Text editor app filed under text editors and made available by The jEdit Team for Windows.
The review for jEdit has not been completed yet, but it was tested by an editor here on a PC and a list of features has been compiled; see below.
If you would like to submit a review of this software download, we welcome your input and encourage you to submit us something!
We have tested jEdit 5.4.0 against malware with several different programs. We certify that this program is clean of viruses, malware and trojans. [Read more]
A programmers text editor with many great features including syntax highlighting for PHP, Perl, C, HTML and other languages:
jEdit is a mature programmer's text editor with hundreds (counting the time developing plugins) of person-years of development behind it. To download, install, and set up jEdit as quickly and painlessly as possible, go to the Quick Start page.
While jEdit beats many expensive development tools for features and ease of use, it is released as free software with full source code, provided under the terms of the GPL 2.0.
jEdit was developed with the help of the java programming language as an accessible and open source text editor for developers.
jEdit can edit PHP files, edit HTML documents and highlight syntax.jEdit features and highlights:
- Combines the best functionality of Unix, Windows and MacOS text editors
- Efficient keyboard shortcuts for everything, with predefined keymaps
- Comprehensive online help
- Unlimited undo/redo
- Copy and paste with an unlimited number of clipboards
- Register contents are saved across editing sessions
- Kill ring automatically remembers previously deleted text
- Rich set of keyboard commands for manipulating entire words, lines and paragraphs at a time
- Markers for remembering positions in files to return to later
- Marker locations are saved across editing sessions
- Any number of editor windows may be open, each window may be split into several areas, each area can view a different file and keep track of an independent set of buffers. Alternatively, different locations in one file can be viewed in more than one area
- Multiple open windows and split windows are remembered between editing sessions
- Rectangular selection
- Multiple selection for manipulating several chunks of text at once
- Word wrap
- Any number of files can be opened at once
- Supports over 160 character encodings including UTF8 and UTF16
- Automatic detection of several character encodings
- Automatic compression and decompression of GZipped (.gz) files
- Any character encoding supported by Java can be used to load and save files
jEdit is licensed as Freeware for Windows (32-bit and 64-bit) operating system / platform from text editors without restrictions. jEdit 5.4.0 is available to all software users as a free download (Freeware).
This Text editor software is filed under:
- jEdit Download
- Freeware Text Editors
- Open source and GPL software
- Major release: jEdit 5.4
Compatibility with this Text editor software may vary, but will generally run fine under Microsoft Windows 10, 8, 8.1, 7, Vista and XP on either a 32-bit or 64-bit setup. A separate x64 version may be available from The jEdit Team.
Page maintained by Fernando Ortega.